Configuring remote backups with Akeeba Backup
If your Joomla web site is configured properly, it is possible to remotely manage Akeeba Backup right from the Watchful dashboard.
This is particularly useful when, for example, you want to install Joomla updates since we advise that you always perform a backup before making any changes to your site.
In addition, Watchful allows you to trigger remote backups each day, week or month. Again, this is highly recommended for all Joomla web sites that have moved to production status.
Complete the following steps to configure your Joomla site for remote backups and enable remote backup management in the Watchful dashboard.
Note: Before proceeding, ensure that the Watchful client has been installed on your Joomla site.
Part A — Install Akeeba Backup
1. Login to the administrative backend of your Joomla web site and install Akeeba Backup or Akeeba Backup Pro.
We highly recommend the Pro version, though the free version will also suffice (compare versions).
2. After installing Akeeba Backup, be sure that you can create a backup on your Joomla web site. This will ensure that Akeeba is working correctly on the client site.
Full documentation for Akeeba Backup is available and Pro subscribers also have access to the excellent Akeeba support area. Short-term support plans are also available if you are having problems with the free version of Akeeba Backup.
3. Once you have confirmed that Akeeba Backup is working as expected, you need to enable remote management. In the Joomla backend, go to Akeeba Backup > and on top right corner click on Options button.
4. Move to the Frontend backup tab, enable the first option, Enable front-end and remote backup and enter a Secret word.
In order to avoid any problems, please only use alphanumeric characters (a-z, A-Z and 0-9) in the secret word. Do note that it is case sensitive, i.e. ABC, abc and Abc are three different secret words.
Note: The Akeeba Secret word is not to be confused with the Secret Key generated by the Watchful client.
Complete the Akeeba configuration by selecting Save & Close.
Part B — Configure Watchful.li
6. Login to your account at Watchful.li and view your Dashboard. Find the site you want to edit click on the arrow in front of site name and click the Edit button corresponding to the Joomla site you configured above for remote backups.
7. Scroll down to the Backup area and enter the Akeeba Secret word from Step 4 above.
8. If you have multiple Akeeba Backup Profiles, select the desird one from the drop-down list.
9. Optionally configure the Task scheduler for daily, weekly or monthly backups. If you choose a weekly schedule, you can select specific days to backup.
10. Complete the process by selecting the Save & Close button.
11. Backups can now be initiated directly using the Start Backup button after you clicked the arrow in front of the website name on your watchful.li dashboard. Take a moment to test the backup process. You may also check the Backups link in the Insights column of that website for a list of your existing Akeeba backups and restore points.
- Configuring remote backups with Akeeba Backup
- How do I generate reports for my clients?
- How do I use the Site Audit?
- How do I use the Watchful REST API?
- How often does Watchful monitor my web sites?
- How to backup a site in Watchful
- How to create a Watchful App
- How to make add-on/extension updates compatible with Watchful
- Installing the Watchful client
- Managing admin access with Single Sign-on