Monitoring critical files
Monitoring a full site in real-time for unauthorized file modifications is resource intensive and for many servers is not possible.
Thus, Watchful takes a very conservative approach to file monitoring. Only the following files* are monitored since these are common targets for defacing and hacking:
Watchful scans your site at least 8 times per day, and when it detects changes in any of these files you will be notified via email or RSS.
Changes can be of the following types:
- Contents of the file has changed
- Timestamp of the file has changed (i.e. In Joomla, saving the Global Configuration area without making any changes).
Please see the following FAQ if you receive a notice that a file on your site has been modified.
* filenames are relative to the server path where your Joomla site was installed.
- Configuring remote backups with Akeeba Backup
- How do I generate reports for my clients?
- How do I use the Site Audit?
- How do I use the Watchful REST API?
- How often does Watchful monitor my web sites?
- How to backup a site in Watchful
- How to create a Watchful App
- How to make add-on/extension updates compatible with Watchful
- Installing the Watchful client
- Managing admin access with Single Sign-on